Thursday, January 18, 2007

Weather, we like it on the road



Before we left Vancouver, we heard many warnings about how the weather "back east" could be treacherous. My friend in Toronto kept telling me how nice it had been there. Sunny in the Big Smoke when we had snow in VanCity. And then something changed. As we left Beautiful BC, the cold temperatures and precipitation decided to follow us. We experienced freezing rain in Niagra, then snow and minus 20 cold in Montreal. It was so cold yesterday. that we spent much of the day shopping in Montreal's underground malls.

Much of the downtown here is connected by tunnels. Even when we were on the street, we would only make it a couple blocks before would HAVE TO go into a store (to shop, but also to warm up). In Maison de Simons, we tried on Furry hats - I bought one. Completely worth the ten bucks I paid for it. I don't want to give the impression that I dislike Montreal. In fact, I like it a lot! The shopping is great, the people aren't as rude as described, and after 2 smoked meat meals, I can confidently say that I understand what the big deal is about. I have lived in Saskatchewan before, so I know cold (I have experienced -45 before)... and it's not THAT cold here; I actually like it when it's so frosty that your eyelashes freeze together. Now as we leave for Ottawa this morning, we can only hope for nicer weather, in the nation's capital.
The Canucks Mobile was covered in an inch of ice in Niagra... Earl was able to roll down the glass window and still have a second window of ice.

Thanks to my aunt for the Canucks logo magnet and scarf. Both have been well used on the trip!

-Myles

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hahahahaha.... that is a funny picture of Earl with the ice window... omg. Must be freeeezing there, I would not be going outside without 50 layers considering how small I am. Yikes. Go nucks tonight!

Dave O said...

Slush city in Vancouver today! Nasty stuff - drive safe on those icy streets eh.